We are used to think that an efficient managerial strategy must be measured only looking at the results achieved. This could be true only considering the short-term goals and a business environment without interdependencies and complexities. In more complicated environments, where all the variables are connected and interdependent between each other, looking only at goals’ achievement could generate problems and problematic business situations. Because of that, managers must be evaluated not only looking at their results, but also considering the way in which they manage complexity and uncertainty.
It is important to develop managerial competences that can run complexity. Clients’ satisfaction, flexibility, proactivity and collaboration are just few of the competences on which managers are evaluated but all these skills have a limit: do not consider the environment and interaction between many and different unpredictable factors.
In order to understand the competences a company’s key figure must have in the today business world, we have first to understand the effects complexity generates:
- Reality continuously change and evolve;
- Effective solutions must be tailored made for each context and situation;
- For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. People must take the responsibility of their actions and implement predictive actions;
- It is important to consider how you achieve goals instead of just looking at their accomplishment.
Considering the previous complex features, there are some key managerial competences:
- Results orientation: a manager must be surely goal oriented and must implement actions in order to achieve results even is complex situations. This fundamental behavior must not be alone;
- Context reading: a key figure must avoid the implementation of strategies before understanding the environment where the company is present. From a specific situation, a group of tailored actions of improvement will be generated;
- Complex thinking: manage complexity and the possible negative implications coming from wrong actions, is fundamental;
- Content generation: is the ability to generate a relational context aimed at achieving goals.